Cases Of n-Hexane Poisoning At Apple Supplier

May 13, 2010 | Print | Email Email | Comments | Category: Labor

According to Hong Kong media, about 62 workers from China's Jiangsu province have been hospitalized for n-Hexane poisoning contracted while working for Wintek, a supplier to Apple.

The report said that the workers were working on touch screens for Apple's iPhone products before they got n-Hexane poisoning and some of them will probably have to stay in the hospital for months because of serious illness.

According to a female worker who suffered from n-Hexane poisoning in the factory, from the spring of 2009 her hands became numb and she could not balance herself. The woman said her colleagues developed similar symptoms to hers, but it was not until August 2009 that their illness was identified by the hospital and the company began to stop using the chemical.

It was learned that a manager from the Wintek factory asked workers to use n-Hexane, even in poorly ventilated places, because it is faster acting than alcohol. So far, the manager has been dismissed and the workers have had their medical expenses paid by the factory.

Though Apple was not directly involved in the affair, Hong Kong's Labor Organization believes that since Apple's products are so expensive, the company should spend some money to ensure work place safety.

Wintek is a Taiwan-based company that supplies touch panels for Apple's notebook and other products.

Find more stories about: , , , , , , ,

Rate this page: 1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars


Leave A Comment: